As we all know by now, on Thursdays I try to post a vegetarian recipe that I’m trying in an attempt to seduce the man away from his flesh-eating ways.
Wow. I just made him sound like a super bacteria resistant to penicillin. He is not! I promise.
Hold on, I keep imaging that’s what he is and I’m laughing too hard to type.
This week I attempted a kale and hemp seed pesto because:
- He sort of likes pesto.
- Basil is expensive and I TOTALLY love pesto. It’s still my favorite.
- Hemp seeds are cheaper than pine nuts and walnuts, usually. And I am cheap.
- He hates kale.
I know! My logic is twisted. He does like kale chips though, so I figured this was sort of safe.
Push It – Kale Pesto Schoop Whatta Man
- .75 cup help seeds or walnuts or pecans
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cups kale (packed)
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- .25 tsp ground pepper
- red pepper flakes
- .25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- one third cup parmesan cheese (grated)
• I don’t have a food processor. Okay. Actually, I have one, but I am the least mechanical human ever so I don’t know how to make it work. This is also true for my sewing machine. You can use a food processor or blender for the next step. Guess which I use.
• Mince the garlic cloves (peeled).
• Add everything else except the poor oil.
• Give the oil a pep talk. It’s not because you’re oily, tell it. It’s because you’re so important that you deserve extra attention. You’re special that way.
• Put the oil on top and watch. Coo to the oil that it’s special. Blend until you like the way it looks. Remind the oil that it’s because of her that you can make this pesto any consistency you want. Remind her how beautiful she is.
• Taste it. Add more lemon if you want. Add more salt and pepper. Start singing old Salt-N-Pepa songs from the 1990s. Think about Vlogging this. Decide that would be detrimental.
• If you want to put your pesto on pasta (LOOK AT THE ALLITERATION!) make your pasta according to directions on the box/bag. Cook it. Think about how Salt-N-Pepa was a trio and not a trio, think about how happy Olive Oil would be if the hip-hop trio had been named Salt-N-Pepa-N-Olive Oil. Realize you are a dork.
• Wait a minute after pasta is done before mixing in the pesto. Remember to drain the pasta first.
Man Verdict: This is not kale.
Dogs’ Verdict: It’s green, like interesting smelling poop can we try.
My Verdict: YAY!