“Between stimulus and response there is a space.
In that space is our power to choose our response.
In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”
Heidegger said that “being” is always in relation to something else. Human life is “da sein,” which is often translated into “being in the world.”
I like that – being in the world.
How we experience our nows is part of what is necessary to live fully and presently as possible. Experience is part of being. (Gendlin, 1996).
But the thing is that so many of us forget to experience our existence, our being, our space in this world. Why should we do this?
It helps center us.
Focusing on our experience helps make us remember who we are in the moment and it makes us feel better.
Where is the space that our power is at? It’s in that focus, that attention to experience.
A pretty mellow exercise to do this is as follows:
- Pay attention to your body.
- How does it feel?
- Are your feet on the floor? Does it feel right to be touching the ground?
- Move on to your legs. How are you standing, walking, sitting in this world?
- You have a back. It’s supporting you. How is it doing that?
- Your arms, your hands, your fingers. Your fingers are pretty magical. They are sense magicians, bringing information from the outside into your brain. How cool is that?
- How does the light or darkness feel against your skin? Do you smell things? Is there wind?
- Now think about you in this space and say, “I am.”
- You are.
- I am.
- Did you see anything? Feel anything? Release anything?
- Now say, “I am here.”
You are. You are in this world.
Dog Tip for Life:Dogs are always in this world, vitally connected to it. They know that their existence is part of everything. I am herepretty much oozes off a dog’s every moment.
Writing Tip of the Pod: Just like we have to fully feel our own existence, we have to feel our characters’ existence, what is like to be them, interacting with the world we’ve created for them. Imagine yourself as your character. Imagine yourself as your character doing that exercise. Now write down a paragraph as them, first person.
Yep, it’s the part of the blog where I talk about my books and projects because I am a writer for a living, which means I need people to review and buy my books or at least spread the word about them.
I’m super good at public image and marketing for nonprofits but I have a much harder time with marketing myself.
So, please buy one of my books. 🙂 The links about them are all up there in the header on top of the page. There are young adult series, middle grade fantasy series, stand-alones for young adults and even picture book biographies.
I’ll be at Book Expo America in NYC on June 1 at 11:30 – 12 at the Lerner booth signing copies of the Spy Who Played Baseball. A week before that,I’ll also be in NYC presenting to the Jewish Book Council . Come hang out with me!
And please subscribe to and like our podcast if you listen and spread the word. It’s kind of you and it makes us feel happy. The RSS feed is here.