- 1. Here’s a hint: They are called devilled eggs for a reason.
2. And, no, it is not because of the little hint of jalepeno that gives them a kick.
3. It’s because you have to HARD BOIL the little suckers first, and there are all these rules about boiling them.
Yes, rules about boiling an egg! WHY MUST THERE BE RULES ABOUT EVERYTHING!?!?!
4. Boiling an egg should be simple.
5. It isn’t.
6. It really isn’t simple if you get distracted by the fact that the 90-second rice pouch you put in the microwave just exploded.
7. But this is about eggs, not exploding rice pouches.
8. So, if you manage to boil the egg, you should then plunge the poor thing in cold, cold water.
- And you must then PEEL THE EGG!
9. Eggs are not meant to be peeled. This is why they are eggs. Not bananas.
- 10. If you have happy, young fresh eggs they are harder to peel. The old buggers are better.
11. Be prepared to sacrifice many, many eggs in your egg-peeling quest for the perfect egg to devil.
11. Once, eggs are peeled, halved, and stuffed, do not be offended when people in house say, “Holy crud. It’s like the egg has acne pits or something.”
12. Do not be offended when people in the house say, “Um? Are you sure this is a devilled egg? Should it be all wobbly like this? And gooey? It’s kind of gooey.”
13. Do not be offended when people in the house say, “Next time, can we just buy the premade kind in the grocery store? You know, the kind that is full of chemicals?”
14. And do not have hurt feelings when they do not celebrate with you because you keep saying, “But look at the yolk. It isn’t green. That’s a big achievement, not to have green yolks.”
15. Do not throw eggs at them.
16. Breathe deeply and try to be one of those yoga-calm people who smell like lavender and sage incense and just say “Namaste” whenever they are pissed off.
17. Honestly, just accept that you are not a gifted deviled egg maker. We can not all be gifted in all things eggy. You are a good scrambler. Be happy with this.
WHERE TO FIND OUR PODCAST, DOGS ARE SMARTER THAN PEOPLE
Last week’s interview with writer Jordan Scavone!
SO, HERE’S WHAT I’M UP TO.
THE WRITING COURSE OF AWESOME
It’s our very own writing course!
Basically, it’s set up a bit like a distance MFA program, only it costs a lot less and also has a big element of writer support built in and personalized feedback from me! This program costs $125 a month and runs for four-month sessions!
To find out more, check out this link. It’s only $125 a month, so it’s a super good deal. Come write with us!